Saturday, August 20, 2011

Tim Kinsella

I took this photo!

I feel weird making a blog post title with someone's name - rarely do I use this public forum for anything more than a place to show what bands I've seen and where, but I've been following Tim's blog lately and felt the need to share it with the 10 people who look at this thing.

His latest post is actually by guest writer/life-long friend Sam Zurick - and I highly recommend you make the attempt to read it in its entirety. Read it here.

When I first moved to Chicago I had never heard the name Tim Kinsella before. He is one of my ex's best friends and I consider myself lucky that I got to know him so well over the past 3 years. I'll never forget the first time we met. Bobby brought me to Rainbo to have a beer and introduce me to him. This was right after Tim's wife had left him, and he was still in a pretty dark place, but he was trying to do his best to not lay all his shit out in front of a stranger (sidenote: one of my favourite things about Tim is his unabashed earnestness). He did his best to include me into the conversation, and asked me what my favourite band was. A harmless get-to-know-you type question. He even prefaced it by saying, "I'm really into Wire again, I think they might be my favourite." Without hesitation I answered, "NOFX." To which Tim stared blankly at me, turned back to Bobby and continued his conversation.

This one too

Luckily, Tim gave me another chance and I've always felt like we've gotten along well. I've become a fan of his music, his entire family, and his ideas for restaurants that you lay down in and that have separate crying rooms.
Last year Tim wrote a book, which isn't out yet, but you can pre-order it here and I am anxiously awaiting my copies arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment